Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Windows 8.1 Upgrade Wifi problem with kaspersky 2014

Hi recently Upgraded to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8, though the upgrade procedure was nice and easy, I immediately started having problems related wifi.

Soon with the upgrade the wifi started to drop a lot, and once it drop only way to restore it was by restarting Windows !, even if the computer goes to hibernate or sleep mode, or I physically shut down wifi for running Windows, the link was not coming up.

I was able to see the wifi network available, but unable to connect it, once the connection gets dropped and I tried to connect it it used to asked password and even after providing the correct password the network was not restored.

Now my laptop is 5 years old, which originally shipped with Vista, and it supports only continue till Windows 7, it was surprising that Windows 8 worked OKon it, but with 8.1 upgrade it seemed that my computer has already crossed the limits of latest OS it can support, and the peripherals are getting too old to get supported by newer operating systems.

But in the last hope to save my PC, I re-installed my wifi drivers, played with power options, even install re install the Kaspersky internet security, but the problem remains.

It seems like the problem with Kaspersky because few threads on internet report it, but they were enterprise systems, but not the less I decided to play with the settings more.

In my wifi network adapter setting, there was Kaspersky Anti-Virus NDIS 6 Filter, Just as a experiment I disabled it, and pressed OK, and the wifi problem was corrected automatically. Hurrey !






What is NDIS Filter

Now according to Kaspersky website NDIS filter is a Kaspersky network package interceptor to provide network protection. It was working fine till Windows 8, but with Windows 8.1 it has somehow gone coo coo.

I have raised this issue with Kaspersky support, and they said that they will remotely assist me for this problem on a "Convenient Time".

No matter how much Kaspersky says that they are ready for Windows 8 or 8.1, the reality is that they are not and I think this applicable to many of such applications. 

It seems NDIS filters are important for security, but till now Kaspersky fixes this, You can un check the NDIS filter box and your wifi will work fine.





3 comments:

  1. window 8 is really not like the other windows i personally not like window 8 it has so many issue, wi fi issue bluetooth issue
    redes wifi

    ReplyDelete
  2. great, worked for me,thank u very much

    ReplyDelete

Official Google music desktop app

This Article does not make any sense now as google discontinued the Google music app and there is an official youtube music web app Google ...