Saturday, June 13, 2015

Picture fiasco at google I/O

At google I/O 2015, Google has announced that they will be providing feature to upload unlimited high resolution pictures (A higher quality reduced size.16 Mega pixels is cap, but that is still a lot!) easy to search and easy to find, you can quickly search for a "dog" and you will find dog in pictures.




I don't know what developers at google looking for in their pictures, but for me the dog is hardly in more than two pictures, and what I really want to search for is "My 2nd birthday" which is described by a folder name.

For almost 10 years I am using picasa to upload photos on web, and which each photo api release google has done nothing but created confusion.


  • Back in 2002, with option to upload on web google first introduce a version where every picture will eat in your storage space. I upload every picture in 1024 resolution at that time, because I was a student and I had no credit card or money to give to google.
  • Then came option that less than 2mp pictures will be exempted from storage usage, that time I deleted all the old albums, thanks to googlecl (RIP since 8th June 2015) tools, I was able to remove all old albums via command line and upload it again without any duplication.
  • Then came the infamous google+, and picasa integration with it, Google removed the Picasa web album link and uploading pictures and viewing them was a fiasco, as it got privacy and sharing issue (nothing can be more private than good old private link sharing). Though google later realize and make adjustment so both environments can co-exists.
  • When mobiles become more famous, and google offered upload direct from mobile, what it did offer tools to do same on your desktop  "Google Photo Backup" a dumb tool, which will create a duplicate copied on google server, and then you will play the game which (picture) is which. I avoided it, because I always used Picasa and like my pictures in small collection of folders rather than create a huge pile and search by google logic of searching "dogs". 
  • Now with the unlimited "free" high resolution picture upload option, I want to again upload all the pictures back in high resolution format, but Picasa is not updated to do that (you can not upload high resolution "free" picture from picasa)


    and googlecl tool is dead. So you are stuck with "Google Photo Backup" tool and pathetic picture manager UI, to manage duplicates. (there is simply no way to delete multiple albums at ones in Google+ Photo web page.) 

Google is moving its photo api strategy too fast, with disregards to its current tools (like Picasa) and users, and only focusing on hand held devices and new customers.  


For a old time google fan like me unlimited higher resolution (16 MP) photo storage space is certainly a great feature, but Google should have provide a better way to usher in old users.

Current situation is clearly very much frustrating and certainly not a good way to take on to flicker or iPhoto.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Official Google music desktop app

This Article does not make any sense now as google discontinued the Google music app and there is an official youtube music web app Google ...